Light Pollution Awareness Community Engagement Project (2013-14)
|Light Pollution Awareness Community Engagement Project
|Approved budget (HKD)
This project aims to (1) educate the general public the ecological impacts of light pollution by collaborating with local environmental groups, and (2) engage school students to conduct scientific studies of light pollution and to promote measures to improve the situation in their communities.
- To engage the environmental community on the adverse impacts of light pollution
- To engage secondary school students to conduct light pollution studies in their local surroundings
- To promote measures to reduce the extent of light pollution in both ecologically sensitive rural areas and in urban communities
- To promote results from the ongoing HKU light pollution study to the public.
External Partner Organization
Non-academic Sector(s) benefitted
Environmental Community, Secondary School Students
- Organized “Light Pollution Awareness Workshop 2014” in mid-February to increase public awareness on the light pollution issue.
- Organized “Light Pollution Project Competition 2014” aiming at inviting secondary school students to investigate the problem of light pollution by carrying out a research project.
- Organized “Light Pollution Photography Competition 2014” to provide an opportunity for the general public to use photographs to capture and highlight the critical light pollution conditions in Hong Kong